ASCHS: Itinerary ASCHS Quarterly Meeting, Saturday, January 27 / Patchogue


 

ITINERARY ASCHS QUARTERLY MEETING

Saturday, January 27, 2018

 

Hosted by the Greater Patchogue Historical Society.

Yes, I want to go!

1.     Cost $35.00 per person.

2.     RSVP with Entrée Choice (see below) to ASCHS President Georgette Grier-Key eastvillechs@gmail.com

3.     Please bring check(s) to the ASCHS registration table on Sat. Jan 27.

IMPORTANT: There is ample parking in the rear of the library building.

The entrance is also in the rear of the building, left side, at the bottom of a few stairs.

———————————————————— 

8:30 am

Registration at Carnegie Library, 160 W. Main St., Patchogue (corner of West Ave. & West Main St.)

9:00 am—9:30 am

Welcome by Jim Roselle, President, Greater Patchogue Historical Society

 

The following buildings will be open and docents will be available:

 

Carnegie Library, 160 W. Main St., Patchogue (corner of West Ave. & West Main St.)

Built in 1908, Carnegie Libraries, as institutions of lifelong learning, and as architectural landmarks, are significant in the history and culture of modern America.   Patchogue’s Carnegie Library was the first of only two ever built in Suffolk County (the other being Northport Public Library, now home to Northport Historical Society). Moved to its current location in 2012, it is owned and operated by the Patchogue-Medford Library. Today it has become the new home of the GPHS.

 

Swan River Schoolhouse, 31 Roe Avenue, East Patchogue (3.3 miles from the Library)

Located at 31 Roe Ave, East Patchogue. This is an 1858 one-room schoolhouse. In 1813, Brookhaven Town was divided into 23 school districts. Another was formed in 1857 for East Patchogue. Swan River was soon incorporated into the general public school system. Its district remained intact until 1936, when it was absorbed into the Union Free School District #24 of Patchogue. In 1962, the Patchogue School District voted to transfer the Swan River School to the Town of Brookhaven for use as a museum. This building is a Town of Brookhaven Landmark as well as on the U.S. National Register.

 

Congregational Church of Patchogue, 95 East Main Street

This historic church was built in 1892, although the congregation predates the edifice by a century. The pastor, Rev. Dwight Lee Wolter, will be welcoming us and giving a “history lesson” on this 125 year old structure. This building is on the U.S.  National Register.

 

Lunch at 12:30 p.m. at the BrickHouse Brewery and Restaurant, 67 West Main Street

The BrickHouse Brewery building is the oldest commercial building in Patchogue. It was built around 1850 as a dry goods store and was operated by John S. Havens until 1914. The Shand family subsequently purchased the building in 1914 and operated a hardware store here until 1990.

(The restaurant is located directly across the street from the Carnegie Library at 67 West Main St. Patchogue)

This will be a buffet style luncheon in a private upstairs room.

 

Guests’ Entrée Choices:

~Sliced Marinated Steak~

 

~`Chicken Francaise~

 

~Penne Primavera~

All entrées include a cheese & fruit board or a platter of wings, fresh baked bread, Caesar or house salad, mashed potatoes or rice pilaf, vegetables. Also, unlimited soda, coffee and tea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GREATER PATCHOGUE HISTORICAL SOCIETY

P.O.BOX 102

PATCHOGUE, NY 11772

________________________________________________

Find more like this: Bulletins, ELSEWHERE, Events, Of Note

Comments are closed.

Back | Home