Displaying all posts for Issue 1 Landmarks

LongHouse Reserve, East Hampton

by July 19, 2016
Image for LongHouse Reserve, East Hampton

Buckminster Fuller. Fly’s Eye Dome, 1997. fiberglass. 336 in. x 396 in. x 396 in. (853.44 cm x 1005.84 cm x 1005.84 cm). Designed by Buckminster Fuller and produced by John Kuhtik, 1997. Location: second lawn. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ LongHouse Reserve, East Hampton   LongHouse Reserve exemplifies living with art in all forms. Founded by Jack Read more »

Custom House, 1789, Sag Harbor

by July 14, 2016
Image for Custom House, 1789, Sag Harbor

CUSTOM HOUSE, 1789, SAG HARBOR       Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities (SPLIA) is pleased to announce the season opening of the Custom House in Sag Harbor. The 18th century Custom House, a historic landmark in the village of Sag Harbor, will be offering guided tours Read more »

Quogue Wildlife Refuge, 1934

by March 29, 2016
Image for Quogue Wildlife Refuge, 1934

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The Quogue Wildlife Refuge is a 305-acre expanse of protected land, with more than seven miles of trails that include a variety of habitats such as Pine Barrens, bogs, wetlands, a field, and a tidal estuary. Its mission is to serve as Read more »

Nature Conservancy’s Mashomack Preserve, Shelter Island

by October 10, 2015
Image for Nature Conservancy’s Mashomack Preserve, Shelter Island

The Nature Conservancy’s MASHOMACK PRESERVE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   The Nature Conservancy acquired 2,039 acres on Shelter Island in 1980. Known as the Mashomack Preserve, it encompasses diverse habitats necessary for the survival of many species of plants and animals. Edged by 10 miles of sandy coastline, Mashomack is an area Read more »

Webb House, c. 1740, Orient Village

by September 5, 2015
Image for Webb House, c. 1740, Orient Village

Webb House, c. 1740, Orient Village Originally the Inn of Lt. Constant Booth, circa 1740, on Sterling Creek in the Village of Sterling (Greenport). Moved about 1810 to North Road and became home of Orange Webb. Later acquired by George R. Latham and again moved in 1955 to Orient Read more »

Brecknock Hall, 1857, Greenport

by September 1, 2015
Image for Brecknock Hall, 1857, Greenport

BRECKNOCK HALL, 1857,  Greenport   Brecknock Hall is one of Long Island’s most superb examples of 19th century Italianate stone architecture. It was constructed between 1851 and 1857 as the family residence for David Gelston Floyd (1802-1893). Floyd was the grandson of William Floyd, Long Island’s signer of the Read more »

Sag Harbor Whaling & Historical Museum

by August 24, 2015
Image for Sag Harbor Whaling & Historical Museum

SAG HARBOR WHALING & HISTORICAL MUSEUM   The building housing the Sag Harbor Whaling and Historical Museum was originally constructed c. 1845 as the private residence of Benjamin Huntting II (1796-1867), one of Sag Harbor’s prominent whaling ship owners.  The Greek Revival design is attributed to the prominent Read more »

Sylvester Manor, c. 1737, Shelter Island

by February 23, 2015
Image for Sylvester Manor, c. 1737, Shelter Island

  Our Mission   Our mission is to cultivate, preserve, and share these lands, buildings, and stories — inviting new thought about the importance of food, culture and place in our daily lives. Once a Native American hunting and fishing ground, Sylvester Manor has since 1652 been home to eleven Read more »

Old Whalers’ Church, 1844, Sag Harbor

by February 16, 2015
Image for Old Whalers’ Church, 1844, Sag Harbor

OLD WHALERS’ CHURCH, 1844 First Presbyterian Church, Sag Harbor 44 Union Street, Sag Harbor A great religious revival in 1842 had started a movement to build a new church. Wealthy shipowners, captains, local businessmen and church members of lesser means supported the effort. Sag Harbor was at the height of Read more »

Mulford Farm, ca. 1680, East Hampton

by February 11, 2015
Image for Mulford Farm, ca. 1680, East Hampton

  Mulford Farm, ca. 1680 The Mulford House is open Memorial Day weekend through Columbus Day weekend; Farm open daily Saturday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sunday, noon – 5 p.m., or by appointment Admission: $4 adults / $3 those over 65 / $2 students EHHS Members Free ———————————— Read more »