Osborn-Jackson House, c. 1720, East Hampton


Osborn-Jackson House, c. 1720

 

The Osborn-Jackson House, named for its first and last owners, was lived in by six generations of Osborns until the late 1960’s.

The original portion of the house, probably built in 1723, was the family home of “Deacon” Daniel Osborn. His son Jonathan inherited the house and made additions in 1760. The house was owned successively by his sons Joseph and Sylvanus, his grandson Edward E. Gardiner, and their descendants until the mid-20th century.

This colonial house, one of the few still in its original position on Main Street, is owned and maintained by the Village of East Hampton. Lionel Jackson donated the property to the Village of East Hampton in 1977 for use as a museum. It serves as the headquarters for the East Hampton Historical Society and a period house museum for the general public.

The museum features a display of furnishings typical of the well-to-do lifestyle of a post-colonial East End family. Highlights of the exhibition include a tall clock, a high chest, candle stands and chairs built in the East Hampton workshop of the Dominy family of craftsmen between 1780 and 1840.

 

Osborn-Jackson House

101 Main Street

East Hampton, NY 11937

631 324 6850

  • Open Year Round
  • Tuesday – Saturday 10 – 4
  • Suggested Donation: $4 Adults / $3 Seniors / $2 Students
  • EHHS Members Free

Find more like this: Issue 1 Landmarks, Landmarks

Comments are closed.

Back | Home