Pantigo Mill, 1804, East Hampton


 

AAQ - Pantiago Mill at 940+ 14945

Pantigo Mill, 1804, East Hampton

 

Samuel Schellinger began building the Pantigo Mill for Huntting Miller in March, 1804. Ownership changed over a period of years and the mill was moved to the corner of Pantigo Road and Egypt Lane where it stood for seventy-two years when Gustav Buek purchased the mill and moved it behind Home Sweet Home. The Village of East Hampton undertook extensive repairs in 1984-1985. — Village of East Hampton

May — September. Monday — Saturday. 10 am to 4 pm.

Sunday:  2 pm to 4 pm. 

Ginsberg - Mill at HSH 14912

Harvey Ginsberg Collection of Archival Postcards. Courtesy of the East Hampton Library’s Long Island Collection.

—————————————————

The Windmills of East Hampton

 

For more than a century, Americans have regarded windmills as a picturesque remnant of our agrarian beginnings — a pleasant, even romantic, aspect of the landscape in certain areas of the eastern seaboard.  But in their earlier life, they were hard-working laborers in the community, applying man’s ingenuity to tasks essential to survival: they ground grain, sawed wood, and pumped water.

In East Hampton Village today, Hook Mill, Pantigo Mill and Gardiner Mill still stand. They represent some of the oldest and best examples of American craftsmanship in the wooden age. These mills can be seen as testimonials of a native technology and attract us all because they are survivors of a remarkably different era. — Village of East Hampton. 

————————————————–

Pantigo Windmill Interior 3955

Pantigo Mill — Gears & Shaft. 

Windmills represent the highest expression of the local timber framer’s craft. They are machines with wooden gears and a dense timber frame built to capture the power of the wind to grind grain. In the above interior of the Pantigo Windmill, note the post at the center that rises to receive the bearing of the shaft that drives the millstones. The post demonstrates the craftsman’s ability to hew a complex form, a precise tapering octagon, out of a tree trunk. — Robert Hefner, Director of Historic Services, Village of East Hampton

AAQ - East Hampton Pan at 940 14940

 View across Village Green and James Lane: (left to right) Mulford Barn, Mulford House, Pantigo Windmill, Home Sweet Home and St. Luke’s Episcopal Church. 

East Hampton Villagewww.easthamptonvillage.org

See also: www.aaqeastend.com/contents/east-hampton-main-street-historic-district-walking-tour-east-side-new-5-10-13/

_____________________________________________

Find more like this: Issue 1 Landmarks, Landmarks

Comments are closed.

Back | Home